A collection of computer systems and programming tips that you may find useful.
 
Brought to you by Craic Computing LLC, a bioinformatics consulting company.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Upgrading from Rails 3.0 to 3.1 - Issues with Javascripts

I have been upgrading a Rails app from 3.0.10 to 3.1.5.

The BIG difference with 3.1 is the use of the Assets pipeline which requires that you move images, stylesheets and javascripts from public/* to app/assets/*. In the case of Stylesheets and Javascripts you also put these under the control of a Sprockets Manifest file: application.js or application.css.scss

That Manifest file caused me problems with my javascripts...

I followed the advice in the Railscasts Episode 282 (which I recommend you look at) and put these lines into my application.js
//= require jquery
//= require jquery_ujs
//= require_self
//= require_tree .
But when I ran my app none of my javascript functions were working. Looking at the source for one of the pages I saw this link
  <script src="/assets/application.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
Clicking on brought up a message, instead of a JS file,  saying that Sprockets was unable to find the file 'jquery'

Jquery is supposed to 'just be there' if you have the jquery-rails gem installed.

I think there were a two, maybe three, issues.

1: Sprockets requires that there are NO BLANK LINES in the Manifest file BEFORE the end of the lines that should be processed. In Rails 3.2 the default file says that explicitly but if you are creating your own that is an easy thing to overlook.

2: Look at the 4 lines shown above. The first two are 'require', followed by a SPACE and then the name of the javascript file.

The Third is 'require_self' - underscore, no space - that means process any JS code in this file.
The Fourth is 'require_tree' - underscore, no space - and that means process ALL JS files in this directory.

If you type these lines in and happen to use a space instead of the underscore then Sprockets will look for JS file called 'self' and 'tree' - and won't find them. So be very careful tying those in.

3: The main problem was the require_tree line

I have a number of JS files that are included as needed in certain views. At the top of each view page I specify those with a content_for block like this:
<% content_for :custom_javascript_includes do %>
  <%= javascript_include_tag "raphael.js" %>
  <%= javascript_include_tag "tabs_timeline_simple.js" %>
<% end %>
and in my application.html file I have
  <%= javascript_include_tag "application" %>
  <%= yield :custom_javascript_includes %>

That has worked just fine in the past and I kept all the custom JS files in the javascripts directory. But require_tree will load ALL of them on EVERY page. I assume that there are some variable/function names that are duplicated and/or conflicting and so with all that loaded, nothing worked.

The solution is to get rid of the require_tree line completely.

If I had JS files that should be included in each page then I would 'require' each of them explicitly. This is the same approach that Ryan Bates suggests for CSS files. It just gives you more flexibility.







No comments:

Archive of Tips